Monday, January 3, 2011

Out Of Breath - Part 3


"Anybody can be a runner. We were meant to move. We were meant to run. It's the easiest sport."
- Bill Rodgers, former American record holder in the marathon.


Montfort Secondary, 1996 - 1999

My first experiment with proper running is about to turn things around for the better... at least on the 2.4K circuit. I thought I had found the perfect running technique to survive through 20 minutes of physical exertion. Soon, I would find myself overtaking more and more guys by employing the run-walk-run method.

I began the 2.4K on a jogging pace and held to it for a few minutes to the next 'checkpoint', which might be a bus stop, lamppost, residential flat or any structural set-up being designated as a distance marker. Once there, I transited  into a walk which stretched between 100m -150m before I went into a slow run again. This style of running may be humbling for endurance speedsters but it really helps in preventing one from hitting the wall too soon. Meanwhile, I was unknowingly running in a way that was tried and proven.

Eventually, from Secondary 2 onwards, my improving performance became evident to my friends. Our class 'Mr Unpopular' was even convinced that I had cheated my way to the finish but I hardly find my results extraordinary; the best ranking I had secured so far among a class of 40 boys ranged between the 22th to 26th place.

The run-walk technique would remained my favoured method of tackling the 2.4K until I attended an annual 4-days camp as a Scout.

Held on school grounds, the camp was a major event for Montfortain Scouts as four of its patrols (Scout term for a 5-6 men platoon) pitted against each other in craftsmanship, the erection and maintenance of camping structures,  physical challenges and campfire performances. I was never a reliable Scout myself so during camp, I did whatever I could to follow orders and make things right, though I still flubbed sometimes.

On the third day, an announcement went around the campsite, calling for all patrols to sent a selected group of their members for a 7K race. Without hesitation, I volunteered.

The race started off from school on a fine Saturday afternoon. As we ran along Hougang Ave 8, the feat of staying together as a patrol became apparently difficult since not everyone could stick to an ideal pace. We managed to keep each other in sights and passed encouragements within earshot.

Before reaching a mile, I was ready to break into a walk as part of my strategy. One of my patrol mates was determined that I do not lose stride.

'Keep on running! Don't stop!', he barked. I could not said 'no' so I continued running.

Ten minutes later, we exited the Hougang area and cruised toward the housing estates at Serangoon North. From there, we did a turnaround and headed for the Hougang Central area.

Midway, I wondered if I possessed the energy to last throughout the race while running non-stop. I had not transited into a walk yet but was doubtful that it will not happen at all. Eventually, I realized that most of the guys were pushing themselves just as hard towards the next destination and I'd better follow along.

It seems to be about 25 minutes when we finally passed Hougang Central and were advancing towards the Church Of The Nativity Of The Blessed Virgin Mary, next to the old Montfort site where a CHIJ girl's school now resides. From there, we left-turned onto Hougang Ave 8 with less than a mile to go.


Church Of The Nativity Of The Blessed Virgin Mary at Upper Serangoon Road
(photo courtesy of catholic.org.sg)

 
As we ran past Punggol Park, I began to feel a euphoric sense of near-completion of the race. 'RUN LIKE A TIGER!', I urged my guys by the namesake of our patrol.

Not long after, we arrived at the carpark of Montfort School.

The race is completed. This satisfaction was also boosted by the fact that I had ran non-stopped for more than an hour and lasted through the whole distance. That day, I found that I was capable of performing even stronger than I previously thought I could.

The 7K race at the Scouts camp forever changed my strategy and mental approach towards running. From the humble run-walk technique, I advanced to running / jogging non-stop during 2.4K runs. I reaped much benefits from the change when I participated another cross-country school event race at MacRitchie Reservoir Park. I managed a moderate ranking among a Secondary 3 fielding of 2 or 3 classes.

I continued to do 4-5K runs (sometimes, with my pal, Elliot) around Hougang during school holidays and post-exam breaks..... only occasionally however. Being young and fun loving, I, like so many other boys my age, was distracted by many things in our time. Running got minimal attention so I never realized the extent of my potential like I do today.

A few months after receiving my 'O' Level results in 2000, I was posted to ITE Bukit Batok.

No comments:

Post a Comment