Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Stanchart 2010: Realized Dream

On the hot Sunday morning of 5th December, shortly after 9am, I triumphantly punched my right fist into the air as I wearily crossed the finish line at Saint Andrews Road by the Padang.

The race clock on the end point gantry read 4:00:47. In actuality (based on the Time Chip implanted on my shoe), I would missed my sub-4 target by 17 seconds.

There's,however, a more important realization than just meeting time records on one of the toughest race I ever participated. The realization that I had at last fulfilled a long-time goal: completing the 42.195km Standard Charted Marathon Singapore.

With less than a mile to go.....

Prior to 2010, this dream had been 'postponed' for 2 years, often due to the common excuses that I don't have 'enough time' or 'I got to concentrate on my studies' or, later on, 'I got to focus on my career'. When my career started to fall apart several months back, I knew I cannot afford to make any more excuses.

There will never be a perfect time to fight for your dreams.

So I did what I could. For 8 months, I got myself into regular, intensive training. I was running as much as I could even while battling to save my career in the early stages.

Now, as I look back, I have no regrets, whatsoever, of all the time and effort spent to prepare for this day. No regrets even if I might have pay a costly price for it.

On one memorable Sunday, I finally earned my debut status as a marathoner and who knows, what bigger adventures I'm about to get myself into.

YES!!! - Crossing the finish line at St Andrews Road
(I'm the guy on the extreme right, dressed in a white singlet).



You don't accomplished your goal alone -
Standing outside the New Balance / Team Fatbird hospitality tent at the Padang.
Operation Sunbird is a 12 weeks marathon training program led by Team Fatbird.


No comments:

Post a Comment